Thursday, September 8, 2011

Guest Post from Ariel Goldstein – Intern at Aguayuda

Ariel Goldstein has been interning with Aguayuda the last two months and has been a huge help in many areas. Thank you for all your hard work Ariel, we look forward to staying in contact with you not only as an ex-colleague but also a good friend. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

The following is a post by Ariel about his experience interning for Aguayuda:

Water is the topic of the moment. From droughts in the United States to high-profile, celebrity-studded international water aid organizations, everyone is talking about this vital commodity. Water has been a personal interest of mine since the first time I heard some of the many alarming statistics on the mortality and disease rates associated with water insecurity. You know the ones: a child dies every 20 seconds from a water-related illness, and one half of all people hospitalized right now throughout the world are there because of a water-borne disease. I live in the global north and have had a hard time fully comprehending the implications of these figures. I could no longer take for granted the simple act of drawing potable water from the tap, and wondered what, if anything, that I could do to try and remediate this dire situation. In school, I interned with several nonprofit organizations working on this global health crisis, and I saw firsthand the enormous amount of labor and bureaucratic effort that international water projects require. Simultaneously enthralled and disheartened at the cumbersome methods that nonprofits employ to do such urgent work, I wondered where I could fit into the picture. Then I found Aguayuda.

Aguayuda redefines what is meant by “grassroots.” Run by an impassioned and intelligent couple, Sabrina and Simón, this nonprofit organization operates on a shoestring budget, requiring hundreds of hours a week of volunteer work. Their passion is infectious, and they have created an inspiring atmosphere in which to work. When I joined the team, I had experience assisting with research and writing but always in a background position. At Aguayuda, I was now drafting, editing, and researching in a primary role. Being included in meetings with board members, working out project outlines, and working collaboratively with people who are professionally my senior was a very powerful feeling. With every grant I wrote, and every piece of information I found and sorted, I really knew that I was part of an important project. I am a concept-oriented individual, and the firsthand experience of working on these projects was very helpful for my understanding of how this type of work is done.

Aside from gaining experience through the process of applying for grants, drafting outreach communications, and working through project ideas, I benefited from Sabrina and Simón each taking the time to explain the tactics they use to make their work more effective. I have learned organizational strategies for foundation research, have a better understanding of the pitfalls of working abroad, and now know the best way to optimize photographs for deliverables. The autonomy of work was great, as was the constructive feedback I received. I also enjoyed the variety of tasks that I was given, everything from launching e-mail campaigns to drafting grant proposals, fact-checking educational manuals, and researching and contacting potential partners. I left Aguayuda with a renewed appreciation of what a difference in the world determination and ingenuity can make, and will enjoy keeping up with and participating in the work they will do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on our blog.